We are heading into raspberry season here in upstate NY so we felt that a recipe featuring raspberries would be the perfect kickoff for our Featured Wine Recipe for July 2008. We realize that many of our readers reside outside the US where fresh raspberries may be difficult to find so we selected this specific version for its ease and compatibility.
Please feel free to post comments, questions or your own experiences so that all can benefit. Thanks!
Yield: One Gallon US
Beginning SG/PA: Not Provided
3 1/2 lbs. raspberries
3 lbs. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp. grape tannin
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
2 campden tablets, crushed
1 pkg. wine yeast
- Mash berries into a primary fermentor.
- Add sufficient water to make 1 imperial gallon (1 1/4 US gallon).
- Add remaining ingredients except yeast.
- Let sit 24 hours.
- Add yeast.
- Ferment for 6 days.
- Strain and put in secondary fermentor.
- Rack in 3 weeks and again in 3 months.
- Clarify, stabilize, bottle and age as expected.
Colleen is a private caterer and personal chef, she also hosts the internet’s favorite resource for the home wine maker at www.homemadewine.net. Her blog and websites are viewed by thousands each day who enjoy her simply explained, illustrated and photographed recipes and helpful tips.