Yield: Five Gallons Imperial
Beginning SG/PA: Not Provided
One 1 gal. can of california red grape concentrate
5 cans warm water
6 lbs. white granulated sugar
6 oz. dried elderberries
Two 8 oz. packages dried bananas
6 lbs. white sugar to be added in two stages
2 tsp. yeast energizer
3 oz. acid blend
5 Camden tablets
1 pkg. port yeast
- Prepare Port Yeast starter according to instructions, 3 days in advance.
- Separate bananas and mix all ingredients except wine yeast in primary fermentor.
- When must is cool (70 – 75 F) add yeast.
- Cover with plastic sheet.
- Stir gently once a day.
- When specific gravity is 1.040 withdraw four cups of must and dissolve additional three lbs. of sugar.
- Stir into primary fermentor.
- When specific gravity is 1.030 strain out elderberries and bananas and siphon into gallon jugs or carboy.
- Attach fermentation locks. Wine should not be left in primary fermentor for more than 7 days.
- When secific gravity is 1.010 another tree pounds of sugar can be dissolved and added.
- Rack when fermentation has stopped.
- Fine the finished wine with sparkolloid tablets.
- Sweeten to taste with sugar syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part water).
- Fortify with 2 oz. Brandy per 25 ounce bottle.
- Age 1 year.