Yield: One Gallon US
Beginning SG/PA: 1.085
2 qts. watermelon juice
2 qts. water
1 1/2 lbs. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. acid blend
1/8 tsp. tannin
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
1 campden tablet, crushed
1 pkg. wine yeast
- Cut melons into quarters, remove all rind parts entirely and discard seeds. Cut meat of melons into cubes.
- Using nylon straining bag, mash and squeeze out juice into primary fermentor. Keeping all pulp in primary, tie bag and place in primary.
- Stir in all other ingredients EXCEPT yeast. Cover Primary.
- After 24 hours add yeast. Cover Primary
- Stir daily and check S.G.
- When ferment reaches S.G. of 1.040 (3-5 days) lightly press juice from bag. Syphon wine off sediment into glass secondary. Attach airlock.
- When ferment is complete (S.G. dropped to 1.000 — about 3 weeks) syphon off sediment into clean secondary. reattach airlock.
- To aid clearing syphon again in two months and again if necessary before bottling.
Creatively serving the Greater Binghamton area in the lovely Southern Tier of NY. www.foodwineartdesign.com
Colleen is a private caterer and personal chef, she also hosts the internet’s favorite resource for the home wine maker at www.homemadewine.net. Her blog and websites are viewed by thousands each day who enjoy her simply explained, illustrated and photographed recipes and helpful tips.