Yield: Five Gallons Imperial
Beginning SG/PA: 1.095
4 kg. damson plums (freeze and thaw out to remove pits and improve juice extraction)
2 kg. strawberries
16 kg. (1 case) palomino grapes
1/2 liter red grape concentrate
15 liters water
1 tbsp. pectic enzyme
2 tsp. nutrient
1 tsp. sulfite crystals
Sugar to SG 1.095
Acid blend ‘B’ to 3.8 sulphuric
1 pkg. wine yeast (Lalvin D 47 or K1-V1116)
- Chop fruit and add to crushed grapes.
- Put into primary fermentor and stir in all ingredients except yeast.
- Make SG and Acidity adjustments.
- Cover primary and let sit 24 hrs.
- Sprinkle yeast and let sit undisturbed on surface for 2 hours.
- Stir vigorously and cover primary.
- Stir several times per day until Specific Gravity reaches 1.030 (4 to 5 days).
- Squeeze juice from ferment and place into glass secondary.
- Attach airlock.
- When fermentation is complete (S.G. 1.000 or lower / 15-20 days) rack off sediment into clean secondary and reattach airlock.
- Rack every 7-8 weeks and add 0.1 gr/l. sulfite crystals during aging (6-7 months).
- Add 1/2 tsp sulfite crystals before bottling.
- If you desire a sweeter wine, at this point can add 1 1/2 tsp. stabilizer and a solution of 30 gr/l. dissolved sugar.
Creatively serving the Greater Binghamton area in the lovely Southern Tier of NY. www.foodwineartdesign.com
Colleen is a private caterer and personal chef, she also hosts the internet’s favorite resource for the home wine maker at www.homemadewine.net. Her blog and websites are viewed by thousands each day who enjoy her simply explained, illustrated and photographed recipes and helpful tips.